Please review the following for important information regarding intercollegiate athletic eligibility. The information below is not all inclusive with regards to intercollegiate athletic eligibility – it is intended to provide each future student-athlete with information that may potentially be helpful in his or her transition to Hudson Valley Community College. The scope and complexity of NJCAA legislation precludes complete coverage on this website. We suggest, therefore, that you forward additional questions to the Director of Athletics.
If a student-athlete has questions regarding his or her eligibility, he or she should provide transcripts from each institution attended to the Office of Admissions on campus and then schedule a meeting with either the Director of Athletics or Assistant Director of Athletics to review his or her eligibility. Eligibility of each student-athlete is carefully reviewed on an individual basis and no generalities regarding eligibility will be discussed prior to reviewing the transcripts. The number of credits and Grade Point Average (GPA) required varies in each circumstance.
Note: Student-athletes eligibility cannot be determined without a copy of the transcripts from each institution of higher education attended. These transcripts are required regardless of athletic participation at any institution.
- Courses taken as a high school student through the college's "College in the High School" program are subject to the Hudson Valley Community College institutional eligibility policy.
- In addition to National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) eligibility criteria, all student-athletes must meet Hudson Valley Community College institutional eligibility criteria. Both NJCAA and Hudson Valley Community College criteria must be met to be eligible for intercollegiate athletic participation. Information regarding the institutional policy may be found online in the College Catalog.
- Hudson Valley Community College includes mid-term grades for purposes of determining a student-athletes GPA with regards to intercollegiate athletic eligibility.
- Student-athletes who are NJCAA eligible and have a minimum 1.75 cumulative GPA at Hudson Valley Community College (inclusive of mid-term grades) but do not meet the institutional eligibility criteria (which requires a minimum 2.0 GPA) as determined by Hudson Valley Community College will be allowed to practice only. They are not allowed to travel, sit on the bench, in the dugout, or participate in any other way with a respective athletic team.
- Student-athletes who do not meet the criteria of being NJCAA eligible and maintaining a minimum 1.75 cumulative GPA at Hudson Valley Community College (inclusive of mid-term grades) are not allowed to participate with any team in any capacity.
- If student-athletes are not eligible (to play or practice) they are not allowed to attend any practices.
- All eligibility for intercollegiate athletic participation is determined by administration in the athletic department.
- Transcripts from all other institutions attended, full-time and/or part-time, must be on file with the Office of Admissions to determine student-athletes eligibility. A determination regarding an individual's intercollegiate athletic eligibility cannot be determined without these records.
- Each student-athlete may participate in an individual sport a maximum of two seasons at the NJCAA level.
- At a minimum, 24 credits with a 2.0 GPA is required for a student-athlete prior to participating in a sport for a second season.
- Student-athletes who have participated on a team determined to be a "semi-professional" team by the NJCAA will not be eligible to participate in intercollegiate athletics.
- Student-athletes who have participated on a club team must inform their coach and athletic administration. This participation needs to be evaluated to properly determine eligibility for intercollegiate athletic purposes.
- Participation of any duration of time during an athletic contest counts as one full season.