The Business Administration A.A.S. degree program is designed to accommodate students who want to pursue a more general course of study in business. Core coursework covers accounting, economics, business law and statistics, and students can choose from a variety of electives based on their area of interest.
This academic program currently has several transfer articulation agreements for those who wish to continue on to complete a four-year degree. Some graduates also choose to enter the workforce immediately following graduation.
This program is offered by the Business Administration Department.
- The flexibility of the A.A.S. program allows students to create an academic program required by a specific employer or or prospective transfer college.
- Degree requirements can be met through either full- or part-time study and through day, evening and online offerings.
- Several courses related to the insurance industry are available as electives.
- Several elective courses related to sports management are also offered on a regular basis and students have travelled to Italy during the summer on a college-related exchange trip.
- The program has a longstanding relationship with the Disney World Internship program.
- Students complete a capstone course in their second year of study in the Business Administration program.
Program can be completed by attending online.
Program can be completed by attending entirely in the evening.
Career and Transfer Opportunities
A wide variety of career opportunities exist for those with a solid foundation in business. Graduates can pursue careers in retail management, finance, small business management, insurance or banking, to name just a few.
Most graduates seeking to continue their education transfer to University at Albany, Sage Colleges and Siena College.
Recent employers have included: Albany County Division of Finance; Albany Medical Center; Amberjack Construction Company; ATCO Structures and Logistics; AXA Advisors; Brown's Brewing Company; Capital District Physician Health Plan (CDPHP); City of Cohoes; City of Mechanicville; Clifton Park Premier Homes; Columbia County Social Services; Cooley Motors; DeCrescente Distributing; Falvey Real Estate Group; Farm Family Insurance Company; Fuccillo Kia; Fusion Marketing; GlobalFoundries; Golub Corporation; HSBC; Hudson Valley Community College; Mohawk Fine Papers; Morgan Stanley; NBT Bank; NYS Dental Association; NYS Department of Labor; and NYS Department of Motor Vehicles.
Some graduates of the A.A.S. program also continue their education at a four-year college or university. Recent graduates have moved on to The University of Albany, Siena College, SUNY Empire State College, Sage Colleges and The College of St. Rose.
Salaries vary based on position and degree attainment. Many management-level positions require a bachelor's degree or higher. Here are median salaries taken from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (as of 2015): Insurance Underwriters, $63,780; Retail Sales Supervisor, $42,900.
The Center for Careers and Transfer offers Career Services and Transfer Services to all students.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the program should be able to:
- Analyze issues and recommend possible solutions.
- Apply quantitative methods to real life business scenarios.
- Demonstrate effective oral communication skills.
- Demonstrate effective written communication skills.
- Identify essential components of effective teamwork and demonstrate the ability to work in teams.
- Identify and analyze ethical obligations and their implications in business.
- Demonstrate the ability to use technology in a business environment.
- Demonstrate functional knowledge in the core areas of business.
For more information regarding this program, please contact:
Karen A. Jones, J.D.
Brahan Hall, Room 205
For more information about admission to this program, please contact:
Guenther Enrollment Services Center, Room 223