College Catalog


International Students

International students are accepted for admission to the college through the Admissions Office. International students should request application forms 10 to 12 months before they intend to begin studies at Hudson Valley Community College. This will allow time for exchange of correspondence and evaluation of all necessary documents. An international student must present, for admission, a translated, notarized copy of all academic credentials.

If it is necessary to determine course equivalencies international students are required to utilize World Education Services, a fee-based credentialing service. This service will evaluate transcript(s) and then provide a course-by-course transcript evaluation that can be presented to Hudson Valley Community College for potential transfer credit evaluation.

International applicants must display proficiency in English and they are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). To gain admittance to the college, a minimum score of 500 is required on the paper-based test, a minimum score of 173 on the computer-based test or a minimum score of 61 on the iBT version. The Advanced Placement International English Exam (APIEL) is also accepted with a minimum score of “3.” Finally, after admission, the international student applicant must demonstrate sufficient economic resources to cover the cost of education and living in the United States. Specific inquiries should be directed to the international student advisor at (518) 629-7567.

All international students residing in the United States of America who have obtained permanent resident status must submit a copy of their “green card” when filing the Application for Admission to the college.

For information regarding English as a Second Language courses, refer to the Course Description section.