College Catalog

College Student Services

Philosophy of Student Services

The philosophy of the Student Services program at Hudson Valley is to promote concern for the whole person, including his/her preparation for the future. It also involves developing the ability to make a living which is of service to others and the encouragement of a search for what is relevant. The Student Services staff will promote understanding and fellowship among those of diverse faiths, ages, races, cultures and nations. The Student Services staff will provide guidance to an individual for formal and informal educational experiences and for maximum personal fulfillment.

The Student Services professionals will continue to provide total concern for the needs of every student enrolled at Hudson Valley Community College. The staff is concerned with the entire college community and will utilize all resources available on and off campus to support the Student Services program. The staff will always meet the students' needs with professionalism, courtesy and patience.

Back to top


Intercollegiate Athletics
Hudson Valley Community College has a long tradition of successful intercollegiate athletics, and has fielded competitive varsity teams since the college's inception in 1953. Viking athletes, male and female, are recognized among the nation's two-year colleges for their leadership and excellence.

While academic success is a student's top priority, participation in intercollegiate athletics can enhance the educational experience. Tryouts for Hudson Valley's varsity teams are publicized across the campus, and all students are welcome to attend. If you are interested in participating in athletics at Hudson Valley Community College, stop by Room 219 of the McDonough Sports Complex to fill out the necessary paperwork.

Hudson Valley student-athletes will have 16 intercollegiate athletic programs, eight for men and eight for women, from which to choose:
Cross Country (Men) Basketball (Men) Baseball (Men)
Cross Country (Women) Basketball (Women) Golf (Women)
Football (Men) Bowling (Men) Lacrosse (Men)
Soccer (Men) Bowling (Women) Softball (Women)
Soccer (Women) Ice Hockey (Men)  
Tennis (Women)    
Volleyball (Women)    

The Vikings hold six NJCAA National Championships, with the most recent coming in 2010 by the women's bowling team. With 55 Region III Championships and nearly 100 Conference Championships, Hudson Valley Community College offers some of the top athletic programs in the country.

This past year fourteen of our student athletes received All Region recognition and three received All America recognition. One of our student athletes received the prestigious SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence, one of the highest honors a student in the SUNY system may receive.

Academic Eligibility for Intercollegiate Athletes
For the purpose of determining eligibility to participate in the Faculty Student Association governed intercollegiate athletics, a student must maintain a 2.0 GPA in all coursework attempted. For this purpose, the midterm grades will be considered and reckoned in the GPA and will stand until overridden by the end of term grades.

Athletic Facilities
Hudson Valley Community College boasts some of the finest athletic facilities found on any two-year college campus in the country. All of Hudson Valley's athletic teams enjoy the benefits of the McDonough Sports Complex, a 126,000-square-foot recreation facility that is home to a 4,000-seat gymnasium and the first on-campus ice rink at any American community college.

The baseball team plays at Joseph L. Bruno Stadium on campus, which seats 4,500 and also is host to the New York-Penn League's Tri-City ValleyCats, a Houston Astros-affiliated Class A baseball team. Other on-campus sport facilities include: football, soccer, lacrosse and softball fields, along with state of the art tennis courts.

The Athletics Department sponsors an extensive program of intramural sports and recreational activities open to all students and employees of the college. Participation in the Intramural Program can enrich your educational experience and improve your physical health. The Intramural Program also provides you with the opportunity to compete in athletic events without the pressure associated with varsity competition. Intramural events include soccer, volleyball and basketball, and activities such as darts, racquetball and frisbee golf. For more information, please contact the intramural coordinator at (518) 629-7367.

You also can use the recreational facilities when classes are not in session and during evening hours.

The Athletic Department is located in the McDonough Sports Complex and can be contacted at (518) 629-7328.

Back to top


In addition to textbooks, the Viking's Cove Bookstore carries a variety of items, including school supplies, lab supplies, electronics, computers and computer accessories, tablets, printers, software, study aids, clothing, greeting cards, magazines and newspapers.

Textbooks are available for purchase beginning two weeks prior to the start of classes; students are encouraged to shop during these two weeks to avoid the long lines at the start of classes. If a student is eligible for federal financial aid, they may be eligible for a Bookstore Advance. A Bookstore Advance can be used beginning one week prior to the start of classes in the fall and spring semesters. The bookstore accepts cash, check and credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express). Photo ID is required for all check, charge and Bookstore Advance purchases.

There are two ways students can pre-order textbooks. Online textbook purchasing is available via the Bookstore web site, Students can choose to have their books shipped to them or held in the Bookstore for pick-up. “Prepack” is a convenient, free service that allows the Viking’s Cove Bookstore staff to pre-pack all textbooks for a student. Pre-pack forms are available once registration begins. Students can get forms at the Bookstore or via the website at With both methods, students are notified once their order is completed and available for pickup. Students that utilize these services are automatically entered into a contest to win their textbooks free for the semester, bookstore gift cards and a laptop.

To obtain information about the bookstore's return policy and services offered by the bookstore including textbook pre-pack, online textbook purchasing, textbook buy back, and fax service, please visit or call (518) 629-7157.

Back to top

Bus Transportation

Hudson Valley Community College participates in the CDTA Unlimited Ridership Program. Free unlimited ridership is available on CDTA buses for all registered students for the fall and spring semesters as well as intersession and summer terms. Students who register and pay for a credit-bearing summer course may use CDTA services during the part of term for which they are enrolled. Students will be able to use their ID as a bus pass to access all CDTA routes including the STAR service and the Northway Xpress commuter service.

Back to top

Campus Ministry

The Campus Ministry Office offers students the opportunity to deepen their faith while at Hudson Valley Community College. Our campus minister strives to be available to students to help create an atmosphere in which they can integrate their faith life with their social and educational lives. A variety of experiences is offered, which center on issues of faith, self-awareness, religious heritage and religious perspective on current events and social issues. Should students desire it, individual counseling is available to further personal and spiritual growth and development.

The Interfaith Prayer Room is a place for students, faculty and staff to use for personal reflection and for occasional services or spiritual programs. Literature and sacred scripture from major world religions are available in the prayer room. We encourage the use of the room by members of religious traditions and for interdenominational events.

The Campus Ministry Office is in the Siek Campus Center. For more information, call (518) 629-7168.

Back to top

Center for Access and Assistive Technology (Formerly Disability Resource Center)

The major goal of the office is to assist all qualified students with disabilities in the pursuit of their educational objectives. The center attempts to coordinate students’ needs with services and resources available within our college system and to ensure accessible educational opportunities for students according to their individual needs. To assist students, the center offers a number of support service programs. The purpose of these programs is not to create a competitive advantage for students, but to eliminate any disadvantages that may exist.

Operation of the Center for Access and Assistive Technology is based on the philosophy that the individuals it serves are students first and that their disabilities are secondary. The office strives to coordinate services that will enable students with disabilities to act as independently as possible in a supportive atmosphere that promotes self reliance. It is the students’ choice whether or not they utilize the available services.

A pre-admissions visit to the college is highly recommended to all applicants. Persons with special needs are urged to visit early, preferably during their junior year of high school. The Admissions Office and the Center for Access and Assistive Technology should be contacted for an appointment.

Hudson Valley Community College is approximately 90 percent accessible to the mobility impaired with the remaining 10 percent accommodated through special scheduling. Existing structures on campus have been modified and are continually being updated with regard to accessibility. Among those modifications are reserved parking spaces, curb cutouts, building approaches, wheelchair ramps, lowered drinking fountains and first floor bathrooms.

The Center for Access and Assistive Technology offers a wide range of support services. Each incoming student makes an appointment for an Intake Evaluation Meeting with the office, whereby a CAAT staff member and the student will discuss the type of disability the student has, the special equipment required, specialized skills the student possesses, and the support services the student believes are necessary to his/her successful academic functioning.

The Center for Access and Assistive Technology offers assistance to both temporarily and permanently disabled students on the college campus. General services include:

  • Self-advocacy skill training
  • Liaison with local, state and federal agencies
  • Liaison with faculty and staff
  • Individual intake evaluation meetings
  • Pre-admission counseling
  • Assistance with registration process
  • Special scheduling
  • Classroom accommodations
  • Supplemental tutorial services advisement
  • Monitoring academic progress
  • Assistance in acquiring special equipment
  • Extended test-taking time when needed
  • Proctored settings for examinations
  • Assistance with reading and/or writing during exams/tests when needed
  • Note taker assistance
  • Texts in alternate formats - Electronic Books
  • General assistance with navigating the campus
  • Scooters for on-campus navigation for students with mobility concerns
  • Resource for local high schools and the community
  • Loan equipment program
  • Voter’s Registration site

Technology Center
The Center for Access and Assistive Technology provides students with disabilities with access to computer technology through specifically designed adaptive equipment. Students may use the equipment in conjunction with computer courses offered by the college, request an orientation to the specifically designed computer equipment for personal knowledge, or be evaluated on the Center for Access and Assistive Technology equipment. This assists students in determining the type of components they may wish to purchase or have purchased by a funding agency such as the Adult Career and Continuing Education Services - Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES -VR) or the New York State Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped (CBVH). Individual computer work stations with various components are available within the Center for Access and Assistive Technology.

The Center for Access and Assistive Technology is located in the Siek Campus Center, Room 130. The office hours are 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday. Summer hours are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Evening hours are available by appointment. During these hours, the office is open on a walk-in basis. Special appointments for students may be made by calling (518) 629-7154; T.D.D. (518) 629-7596 or Fax (518) 629-4831.

Center for Careers and Transfer

The Center for Careers and Transfer is located on the second floor of the Siek Campus Center. Students and alumni are offered a wide variety of services provided by the office. The center will assist you with your job search, resume writing, interview preparation, job networking, career counseling and much more.

Credit by Examination
The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and DSST are administered through the Center for Careers and Transfer. Students interested in satisfying degree requirements through CLEP or DSST testing should see a counselor to explore the opportunities.

Transfer Counseling
Approximately half of all graduates from Hudson Valley transfer to pursue an advanced degree from a four-year college or university. To assist students with researching transfer opportunities, the center maintains an extensive library of college catalogs and reference books. Additionally, the center coordinates numerous campus visits of four-year college representatives throughout the year as well as a large Transfer Fair each semester. Transfer counselors can advise students on course selections, GPA requirements, and other details that will best prepare them for transferring to the college of their choice. Hudson Valley has many formal transfer articulation agreements with four-year colleges and universities. Students are advised to visit the center early in their studies to obtain the most accurate and current information available regarding articulation agreements.

To learn more about the services and utilize online employment, career and transfer resources, visit The site also links to an online job bank which includes: full-time, part-time and summer jobs as well as internship opportunities. For more information contact (518) 629-7326.

Back to top

Child Care Services

The mission of Viking Child Care Center is to provide safe, affordable, high quality child care for Hudson Valley Community College students. The center maintains a warm, homelike atmosphere and is staffed by professionals who are trained to recognize and understand children's developmental stages. Program components promote social, emotional, intellectual and physical growth.

The center is located on the southeastern end of the campus on Williams Road. Two fenced-in play areas offer opportunities for children to run, jump, climb, explore and experience the wonders of nature. The center itself is filled with blocks and books, computers and an indoor gym. Caring teachers, student interns, and Work-Study students offer the children attention throughout the day.

The center is open 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and serves children between the ages six weeks and five years old. Breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack are provided daily. Fees are on a sliding scale base on a student's gross income. Tuition assistance is available to eligible parents. Enrollment is on a first-come, first-serve basis.

For more information, call (518) 629-4506.


Back to top

Dental Hygiene Clinic

At the Dental Hygiene Clinic, students, faculty and staff can obtain free dental cleanings and exams. Services such as X-rays and sealants are also available for a minimal fee. All services are performed by Dental Hygiene students under supervision of Dental Hygiene faculty. The Dental Clinic is located in Fitzgibbons Health Technologies Center, Room 127. For more information, call (518) 629-7400.

Back to top

Faculty Student Association of Hudson Valley Community College, Inc.

The FSA operates auxiliary services on campus, including the Viking’s Cove Bookstore, the Viking Child Care Center, food service, student activities, intercollegiate athletics, and campus vending.

The general purpose of the Faculty Student Association of Hudson Valley Community College, Inc. (FSA) is to establish, operate, manage, promote and cultivate educational activities and relationships between and among the students and faculty of the college and aid the students, faculty and the administration of the college in the furtherance of their educational goals.

The FSA Business Office is located in the Siek Campus Center. The office is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students can obtain information on any of the FSA's services, pay Viking Child Care fees, obtain vending machine refunds or make change at the FSA Business Office. Any student who has a suggestion and/or complaint regarding any FSA service should call (518) 629-7165.

Back to top

Food Service

Food services are provided in various locations by Mazzone Hospitality and PRIME Business Dining. Hours of operation are as follows:
Food Court - Campus Center 2nd Floor 8 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
Library Café 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday- Thursday
7 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Friday
Williams Hall Café 8 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
Science Center Café 8 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
PRIME Beat - Lower Level Campus Center 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday- Thursday
7 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Friday
*Hours subject to change

Our new dining vendor brings exciting options to campus with delicious salads, sandwiches and grill items along with a new "Angelo's Kitchen" Italian station in the campus center.

PRIME Beat, a new concept on campus has opened as a full service coffee shop located in the lower level of the campus center, enjoy local barista flavors and seasonal smoothie menu!

Available items will vary by location, please visit for a full list of menus.

On-site catering is also available through Mazzonne Hospitality, please contact for details.

Back to top

Siek Campus Center

The Raymond H. Siek Campus Center houses a wide variety of student-centered services: a 300-seat cafeteria; the 350-seat Maureen Stapleton Theatre; the Center for Careers and Transfer; the Wellness Center; the college Chaplain’s office; the Cultural Events office, the Center for Access and Assistive Technology; the Educational Opportunity Program; the Faculty Student Association; the office of the student newspaper, The Hudsonian; the Public Safety Department; the Student Activities and Student Senate offices; and Viking’s Cove Bookstore. The computer lab allows students to access computers 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The Maureen Stapleton Theatre, at the far south end of the center, has hosted many performances for students and the public.

Throughout the school year, the Siek Campus Center also serves as the focal point for many student-sponsored events such as afternoon concerts, talent shows, and guest speakers. Informally, the center is almost always alive with student activity and interaction.

Back to top


Student Activities

The Student Activities Office serves as the liaison between the college and students. The office supports learning outside the classroom by providing extracurricular and leadership development opportunities.

Students wishing to schedule, participate in, or discuss campus activities should contact the Student Activities Office on the second floor of the Siek Campus Center. The telephone number is (518) 629-7348.

All student activities are conducted under the sponsorship of the Student Senate and the supervision of the Student Activities Office. Participation is encouraged in the following areas:

Clubs and Organizations
Any group of students with a common interest and purpose can request that the Student Senate recognize them and provide them with a charter and financial assistance. Most clubs meet at least once a month, usually from 2 to 4 p.m. Mondays. This time has been set aside specifically for student club activities; no classes are scheduled during this time.

Currently, there are more than 50 clubs chartered on campus for the pursuit of educational, cultural and social goals. Anyone wishing to obtain additional information should contact the Student Activities Office.

Academic Eligibility for Participation in Student Senate Sponsored Organizations
For the purpose of determining eligibility to function as a member of Student Senate sponsored organizations, a student must maintain a 2.0 GPA in all coursework attempted. For the purpose of determining eligibility to participate as an executive officer in the Student Senate, a student must maintain a 2.5 GPA in all coursework attempted. For these purposes, the midterm grades will be considered and reckoned in the GPA and will stand until overridden by the end of term grades.

Field Trips and Cultural Events
There are many day trips to Boston and New York City to sightsee and attend plays or athletic events. Weekend and week-long ventures during term breaks to places such as Montreal, Florida, and Utah also are scheduled.

The Housing Office publishes the Student Housing Guide which includes a list of available housing in the region.

If you are seeking housing information, contact the Housing Office located in the Siek Campus Center at (518) 629-7348.

Wall lockers are available for student use in Amstuz and Brahan Halls. The lockers are located on all three floors of Amstuz Hall and on the first floor of Brahan Hall.

The lockers are assigned by the Student Activities Office, located in the Siek Campus Center, Room 210. student ID is required for locker rental and a $10 fee will be charged per semester. Students should pay the fee at the Cashier's Office, first floor of Guenther Enrollment Services Center, and bring receipt of payment to the Student Activities Office, where a locker and combination will be assigned. For security purposes, only one individual is assigned per locker and only that individual may obtain combination information (ID must be presented). In the event the student loses, or forgets their combination, they should return to the Student Activities Office for a reassigned combination.

The contents of all assigned wall lockers must be removed by the last day of class of each semester.

Special Events
The college hosts several special events each year, including Homecoming, Spring Fest, a Year-End barbecue and lectures and musical performances.

Student Government
The aim of the Student Senate is to promote a clear and continuing exchange of ideas among individuals and groups of the college community; to participate in formulating aims, objectives and policies of the college and interpreting them to the student body and the broader community; to organize and provide, contribute to the controlling and regulating of student activities, to foster social, recreational, academic, cultural and spiritual needs beyond those offered in the formal major; and to exhibit concern for the future needs of the college community.

Students at Hudson Valley Community College, with administration and faculty guidance, assume the responsibility of promoting and coordinating student affairs, authorizing the establishment of new clubs and activities, promoting student welfare and assisting with the annual budget which supports the extracurricular program of more than 50 different activities.

The Senate consists of president, vice president, secretary and treasurer positions, and senator seats. Senators and officers are elected every year by the student body. In any given year the Senate has openings for 10 to 18 freshmen and 15 to 18 seniors, representing all four academic schools plus non-matriculated students on campus. Freshman class and Senior class presidents also are voted on by the students in their work.

Additionally, students are encouraged to represent the student body on campus committees such as: Learning Resource, President's/Chancellor's Awards, Scholarship, Facilities, Safety, Traffic Appeals and Affirmative Action. These committees are a combination of students, faculty and staff, and students play an integral role on campus.

Student Publications
There are two publications produced in the Student Activities Office

  • The Hudsonian, which is the student newspaper. Editions of The Hudsonian are printed approximately 13 times per year.
  • The Hudson Valley Community College Student Handbook and Calendar, which is published once a year during the summer.

Back to top


The New York State Education Department, through the Office of the Assistant Commissioner of Higher Education, has approved the college majors and continuing education programs as required by the Veterans Affairs for its certification of eligibility of qualified veterans. Detailed information may be obtained from the Registrar's Office or from the nearest Veterans Affairs office.

Back to top

Wellness Center

The Hudson Valley Community College Wellness Center, located in the Siek Campus Center, encompasses three service areas: Health Services, the Counseling Center and Health and Wellness Education. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., during the academic year. Summer hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Students also may be seen on a walk-in basis, pending the availability of counselors/medical personnel. Appointments for evening hours may be made during the academic year by visiting the office or calling (518) 629-7320. For more information, visit

Health and Wellness Education
The Health and Wellness Education program provides outreach services to students through a holistic model of student development and preventive wellness. More information is available at

Health Services
Students requesting health information or medical attention may visit Health Services in the Wellness Center in the Siek Campus Center.

In general, a nurse practitioner is available each class day during the fall and spring terms. Walk-in hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. The college physician is available to see patients on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons during class days during the fall and spring terms. Nurses are available 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily.

Treatment at Health Services is free to students in need. A student ID is required. There may be a charge for laboratory tests and X-rays performed by facilities outside the college. These charges may or may not be covered by individual student health insurance. It is the responsibility of the student to inquire about individual insurance coverage.

Students without insurance may inquire about possible laboratory testing options available. The college is not responsible for reimbursement for expenses caused by injuries that occur at, or illnesses that are a result of, activities that occur at on campus or off-campus educational sites or activities.

All treatment at Health Services is strictly confidential with the exception of reports of injuries that occur on campus. Copies of those reports must be sent to the risk manager. All injuries that occur on campus should be reported to Health Services even if the injury appears to be insignificant.

Health Services - Immunization Requirements
New York State Public Health Law requires college students to demonstrate proof of immunity to the diseases measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). The law applies to students born after January 1, 1957, who are registered for 6 or more credits at Hudson Valley. The proof of immunity required must be documented by a health care practitioner or other acceptable evidence in the following ways:

Titers: Positive blood tests (titers) for measles, mumps and rubella can be submitted to Health Services. When submitting titers, a copy of the lab report must be provided.

Measles Vaccinations: Otherwise known as rubella – 2 doses live measles vaccine administered after the first birthday and at least 30 days apart (exact dates of vaccinations are required).

Mumps Vaccination: 1 live dose mumps vaccine administered after 12 months of age (exact date of vaccination is required).

Rubella Vaccination: Also known as German measles – 1 live dose rubella vaccine administered after 12 months of age (exact date of vaccination is required).

All forms must have an original signature or stamp to be considered properly documented. Students also are required by New York State law to have a meningitis response form on file. This is simply a requirement for a signed form. Meningitis immunization is not required.

Health Services - Religious Exemption
When a prospective student requests a religious waiver from NYS immunization requirements, it is the policy of Hudson Valley Community College to require a letter from the requestor's pastor explaining that the prospective student's religion exempts him/her from immunization requirements or the requester can submit a certified copy of his/her high school immunization records indicating a religious waiver from immunizations in high school.

If the high school record is sent, it must be accompanied by a letter from the prospective student explaining precisely what beliefs he/she holds that will exempt him/her from the immunization requirements. In addition, the religious exemption waiver must be signed, notarized and returned to Health Services with the pastor's letter or the high school documentation and the prospective student's letter.

Health Services - College Requirements
Tuberculosis (TB) Evaluation Policy- All students must undergo a TB skin test (PPD) within 3 months of the semester start date.

Tetanus or Tetanus/Diphtheria- At least one vaccination within the last 10 years.

All immunization forms submitted to Health Services must have an original signature or a practice stamp. Photocopied signatures and stamps are not accepted. Also, all immunization information should be sent to Health Service at least one month prior to registration. The address is: Health Services, Hudson Valley Community College, Siek Campus Center, 80 Vandenburgh Avenue, Troy, NY 12180.

For additional information, contact college Health Services at (518) 629-7468 or

A student who does not submit required immunization records will be allowed to pay the tuition bill, but a hold will be placed on the student's account which will prevent the student from making any changes to his/her schedule. The hold will be lifted once the immunization requirements have been met. Students who do not meet immunization requirements by the New York State mandatory deadline will be administratively withdrawn from the college.

A counselor from the Rensselaer County Sexual Assault Care Center is available in Health Services on designated afternoons. An appointment is preferred but not necessary. Special arrangements for meeting times and places are available upon request. To reach a counselor for immediate assistance, please call the hotline at (518) 271-3257.

For more information, contact Health Services at (518) 629-7468 or

Counseling Services
Counseling Services is part of the Wellness Center and located in the Siek Campus Center, Room 260. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday during the academic year. Summer hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Evening hours are available, during the academic year, by appointment only. Appointments may be made by visiting the office, or calling (518) 629-7320. Students also may be seen on a walk-in basis, pending the availability of a counselor. Counselors are skilled, qualified professionals who provide a range of services including the following:

Academic Counseling
Counseling Services is responsible for assisting students who are having academic difficulties. This includes counseling students who lose their good academic standing and assisting those who are seeking an academic waiver.

Personal and Psychological Counseling
When students don't succeed in college, it is often due to personal problems interfering with their academic performance. Some of the issues that students may be dealing with include depression, anxiety, procrastination, lack of motivation, family or relationship problems, stress, substance abuse, eating disorders, etc. To assist students in working through such problems, the center offers short-term individual counseling that is both private and confidential. The center also assists students with referrals to community-based service providers, as needed.

Back to top