Faculty and Staff

Faculty Resources

Institutional Records and Policies

Academic Advising
At Hudson Valley Community College, we are committed to offering students comprehensive academic advising services. Academic advisors are generally full-time professionals located within advisement centers or academic departments and typically specialize in many content areas within one of the four academic schools at the college. Students are required to connect with an advisor to complete the course selection/registration process each semester and are also encouraged to discuss topics related to advisement, such as transfer and career planning. Non-matriculated students may seek advisement from the Office of Continuing Education. Employees interested in learning more about academic advising are encouraged to attend professional development sessions offered by the Center for Effective Teaching.

The following paragraphs are taken from the Academic Advising Manual. Please refer to the manual for further information.
NOTE: The Academic Advisor Manual is currently under revision. Please contact Karen Ferrer-Muñiz for more information.

The Qualities and Role of the Academic Advisor

  1. The advisor has comprehensive knowledge of Hudson Valley Community College policies, procedures, and degree requirements.
  2. The advisor possesses in-depth knowledge of courses, programs, and educational and career opportunities in his/her discipline.
  3. The advisor is available and approachable, demonstrating concern for and interest in the student.
  4. The advisor is familiar with the individual student's needs and thus individualizes the advisement process.
  5. The advisor is sensitive to the student's academic and emotional concerns, knowledgeable about campus services related to career and personal development, and possesses good referral skills.

The Faculty Advisor

  1. Helps students define and develop realistic educational and career goals in keeping with their abilities, limitations, and interests.
  2. Aids students with course selection and scheduling, taking into consideration academic background, Placement Test results, and non-academic factors such as career plans, family concerns/responsibilities, job commitments, etc.
  3. Monitors students' progress toward educational/career goals.
  4. Helps resolve academic difficulties.
  5. Makes proper referrals to campus support services when a need is indicated directly or indirectly.
  6. Maintains a folder for each advisee with information such as a summary of courses and requirements completed and interview sheets with dated records of all actions and discussions of significance.

Academic Calendar

Address Changes
All faculty and staff address changes must be made with a personnel data change form and submitted to Human Resources.

Attendance Policy
Excessive absence interferes with the successful completion of a course of study and diminishes the quality of group interaction in class. To encourage students to accept their obligation to attend class, the following policy is established

  • Class attendance is a matter between the instructor and the student. Instructors are obliged to announce and interpret specific attendance policies to their classes at the beginning of the session in the course syllabus. Some departments have an established attendance policy. Please see your department chair to inquire about your department's policy.
  • Faculty are encouraged to be considerate of students with special circumstances.
    • Medical Excuses
      Medical excuses for absences from class will be granted to the students when they have been treated at the College Health Office and authorized by the school physician. When students are treated by another physician, then that physician will be requested to furnish the statement. Claims for students not having medical treatment must be evaluated on an individual basis by the student's Department Chairperson.
    • Religious Excuses
      Hudson Valley Community College complies with the provisions of Section 224-a of the Education Law. Under these provisions:
      “It shall be the responsibility of the faculty and of the administrative officials of each institution of higher education to make available to each student who is absent from school, because of his religious beliefs, an equivalent opportunity to make up any examination, study, or work requirements which he may have missed because of such absence on any particular day or days. No fees of any kind shall be charged by the institution for making available to the said student such equivalent opportunity.”* A copy of this law in its entirety is on file in the Office of Human Resources.
      * This wording is the language of the original and still existing legislation. Until the wording is changed to reflect Title IX provisions, it must be printed in the current form. It should be understood in the above text that masculine pronouns refer equally to female persons.

Conserving Energy
At the conclusion of your class, please turn off the lights. Thank you for your help in reducing utility costs.

Course Evaluations
It is optional for adjunct instructors to obtain student course evaluations. However, adjuncts may elect to give students a chance to evaluate the course through the IDEA survey or other means. The feedback provided can be used for your own personal information or it can be included in your employment file. Please consult with your department chair for more information.

Course Outline and Syllabus
You should obtain the course outline from your department chair prior to the start of the semester. You will have to distribute the course outline to each student in your class. Providing a syllabus is optional, but highly recommended.

Course Withdrawal
Matriculated and non-matriculated students may withdraw from a course without academic penalty by filling out a Course Withdrawal Form available in the Continuing Education and Summer Sessions Office. Non-matriculated students must have the withdrawal form signed by an advisor in the Office of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. Matriculated students must have the withdrawal form signed by the academic department in which they are enrolled. Course Withdrawal Forms should then be turned in to the Registrar's Office. Discontinuance of class attendance, oral, or written notice to the instructor do not constitute authorized withdrawal.

*Note: Students must comply with the assigned withdrawal deadline for each academic session. Any student who does not withdraw from his/her course on or before the assigned withdrawal date will receive the grade that he or she earns.

Faculty Attendance Sheets
Faculty attendance sheets will be given out at the start of each term by your department. They must be completed, signed, and returned to your department chair according to the bi-weekly schedule during the fall and spring semesters. During the intersession and summer sessions, they should be returned to the Office of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. Please see your department chair for more information.

FERPA - Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Policy
See [Loading Policies and Procedures link…] in the College Catalog for more information on FERPA at the college.

Final Exams
Final examinations are configured depending on the needs of the course. In courses taught by more than one instructor, 70% of the final exam shall be constructed to test common areas. The wording of questions will be at the discretion of each instructor, providing the questions test for the same general concepts. Thirty percent (30%) of this examination will be constructed to accommodate individual instructor requirements.

It is extremely important that faculty submit final examination documents to the Print Shop in a timely manner to allow for duplication to be completed in time for the examination to be given. Each examination must be approved by the Department Chair and proofread by the instructor prior to final duplication.

Blue books and Scantron sheets will be furnished by the college and obtained from the office of faculty member's Department Chairperson or Dean.

After correcting and grading the final examinations, the instructor will package and deliver them to the office of the Registrar. Copies of completed student final exams are maintained in the office of the Registrar for six months.

Exemption from Final Exams
Final examination exemption is a matter between the instructor and the student. Instructors are obliged to announce and interpret specific exemption policies to their classes at the beginning of the term in the course syllabus.

Absence from Final Exams
A student absent from a final examination may be allowed to make it up at the instructor's convenience, only if he/she has a valid excuse approved by the instructor. The student will be given an incomplete until he/she has made up the exam (see incompletes).

Student Cheating and Discipline
Faculty who have observed and/or investigated reported allegations of violations of the Code of Academic Ethics may

  1. impose one or more academic sanctions;
  2. refer the matter to the Committee on Ethics and Conduct for adjudication; or
  3. impose one or more academic sanctions AND refer the matter to the Committee on Ethics and Conduct for adjudication.

Faculty who have observed a violation of Campus Regulations or the Code on Computer Ethics should report the violation to the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Development for appropriate action.

Observation of Teaching
It is mandatory for all new instructors to be observed by their department chair. Please consult with your department chair for more information.

Placement Testing

Registrar’s Office

Grade Book and Attendance Book Submission
Grade and Attendance Books will be distributed preceding the census date. Students not listed should go to the Registrar's Office immediately. It is important that you keep accurate attendance and grade records. Your grade books will be placed on permanent file in the Registrar's Office at the end of the term. You will have to bring both books to the Registrar’s office by the grade submission due date and sign a form documenting the submission. If you do not receive your grade and attendance books please contact the Registrar's Office at (518) 629-4574. Faculty Handbook Aug. 02, refer to 303.0, 303.1, 305.1, 306.0, 306.1

Grade Change Authorization
Grade Change forms are available in the Office of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. A change of grade may be made only by the instructor of the course in question and counter signed by the Director of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions prior to being submitted to the Registrar's Office. Faculty Handbook July 01, refer to 307.0

Grade Submission
Students at Hudson Valley receive fall and spring mid-term grades. There are no mid-term grades given during the summer. Final grades are posted on the student's official transcript at the end of each term for the fall, spring, and summer. A memo will be distributed from the Registrar's Office regarding the submission of grades via the web on WIReD. Please make special note of submission deadlines. For more information, please see the college's grading system. Faculty Handbook Aug. 02, refer to 306.0

Grading Policy
See [Loading Policies and Procedures link…] in the College Catalog.

Student Confidentiality/FERPA
Student confidentiality is a priority at Hudson Valley. No personal information may be disclosed of any student including phone number, addresses, grades, etc. Each student is issued a random ID number upon registration for courses. Student email accounts are also generated with random numbers. Please familiarize yourself with the FERPA law. If you have any questions, please contact the college's Registrar at (518) 629-4574 for more information.

Withdrawal Policy
See [Loading Policies and Procedures link…] in the College Catalog.

Room/location Changes
Any deviation(s) of class meeting time(s) and/or location(s) from the master schedule need to be documented. Documentation is necessary so that public safety can locate a faculty member or student in case of an emergency. A room change request form and more detailed information are available from the scheduling officer, available at (518) 629-7207. Please consult with your Department Chair for information on necessary signatures.

Please notify the Office of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions for any changes to meeting time(s) and/or location(s) after 4 p.m., off campus, on the weekend, during intersession, or summer session, by calling (518) 629-7338.