The Bereavement Studies certificate program can be completed online without ever taking a campus-based course. Online students must have ready access to a computer with an internet connection. Students must be self-motivated, organized and possess strong time management skills.
An important note about tuition for online students who reside outside New York State: Students residing outside New York State who take online courses exclusively will be charged New York State resident rates. For more information, contact the Cashier's office.
Bereavement Studies Program
Steps to Enroll Online
Apply online using the college's WIReD system at www.hvcc.edu/application.
After you complete the application process, you will receive a confirmation letter. Following your application, we also request that you contact the academic department via email. The department's online advisor is Lori Purcell, who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and (518) 629-7334. Call or email Lori to discuss the certificate program and your next steps.
Review Tuition and Fees
Important Additional Information
- This 30 credit-hour online certificate program is designed to offer specialized training in the ways that people grieve after the loss of a loved one and is appropriate for those who are working in the field of geriatric medicine as well as for caregivers and volunteers who want a deeper understanding of the psychological theories behind the grieving process.
- Careers in direct care in disability service organizations may be obtained after completing the certificate.
- The certificate also may be of value to those already working in the field who wish to increase their knowledge.
- The certificate program is approved by the State University of New York and the New York State Education Department.
- Courses are offered online and on campus.
- Please note that not all courses are offered every semester, and there are limited online choices for some of the required courses. With careful planning in conjunction with an academic advisor, students can successfully plan their online degree requirements.