Steps to Enroll

How do I complete the registration process at Hudson Valley Community College?

AM I MATRICULATED? A matriculated student has been accepted for admission to the college, has registered in a program, is pursuing a degree or certificate and is eligible to apply for financial aid. Go to Step 1.

AM I NON-MATRICULATED? A non-matriculated student is one who has not yet been accepted for admission to the college; or has lost matriculated status by not enrolling in coursework for one semester, or has been suspended from a program because of failure to maintain good academic standing. Courses taken by a non-matriculated student may later count toward a degree, however, the student will not be eligible for financial aid. Go to Step 4 .

Step 1 - Apply for Admission
All candidates seeking general admission as a matriculated student to associate degree programs must have a completed application for admission on file in the Admissions Office no later than noon on the Saturday prior to the start of classes. Applications for admission are available in the Admissions Office or on the college’s website at

General entrance requirements, special admissions programs, and academic program prerequisites for both associate’s degree and certificate programs are detailed in the [Loading Admissions link…] section of the College Catalog.

Step 2 - Apply for Financial Aid
Financial aid is available to qualified, matriculated students enrolled in Hudson Valley programs approved for financial aid eligibility. Most matriculated students are eligible for a student loan. Those students requesting assistance from aid programs must complete, on an annual basis, a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is available online at This one application will determine your eligibility for student loans as well as federal and state grants. There is no cost for submitting an application, and you are under no obligation to enroll at Hudson Valley or accept any financial aid simply by completing an application. Upon submission of a completed FAFSA, a student who is a resident of New York State needs to complete the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application online at Students who will be part-time should contact the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center regarding state grant eligibility and application requirements.

To avoid delays and to ensure having the financial aid available to assist with the payment of tuition and fees, students must begin the financial aid application process at least eight weeks prior to the term in which they enroll. Information concerning the available financial aid programs may be found in the [Loading Financial Aid link…] section of the College Catalog and in publications available in the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center.

Step 3 - Placement Test and New Student Orientation
To ensure that every student has the greatest chance for academic success at Hudson Valley Community College, first-time matriculated students and students reactivating their matriculation after a period of one year are required to take basic skills placement tests in writing, reading, arithmetic and elementary algebra. The results will assist the student's academic advisor when recommending specific coursework for the student's upcoming term.

Some first-time matriculated students may be automatically waived from testing during the Admissions process. Waivers may be granted based on any of the following:

  1. Substantial previous college work;
  2. Previous ACCUPLACER or COMPANION placement testing within the past year;
  3. College determined SAT/ACT cut-off scores.

The Testing Office will notify students by mail if a waiver is granted.

New Student Orientation is required of first-time college students and recommended for transfer students. New Student Orientation may be completed before, after or in conjunction with academic advisement. Students will receive communication from the Office of Testing, Advisement and Academic Placement regarding New Student Orientation.

Step 4 - Advisement
An advisement session allows the student the opportunity to discuss interests, educational and career goals, as well as appropriate coursework for the upcoming term with his/her advisor.

Matriculated Students - Matriculated students must contact their academic department to schedule an advisement appointment.

Non-matriculated Students - Those students interested in receiving advisement may contact the Office of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions at (518) 629-7338 to speak with an advisor or to schedule an advisement appointment.

Step 5 - Register for Classes
Students may register for courses through consultation with their academic department. The department for non-matriculated students is the Office of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions. Eligibility for Web registration is at the discretion of the individual department. All non-degree seeking students will receive their Advisement Verification Number (AVN) through the Office of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions.

In addition, non-matriculated students may register by mail or by phone at (518) 629-4560. Please refer to the registration publication for specific dates.

To schedule via the Web after advisement, you may access the Hudson Valley WIReD system from any computer with Web access including those in the lobby of the Guenther Enrollment Services Center, and those in the open computer labs on campus.

Step 6 - Immunization
New York State law requires that all students born on or after January 1, 1957, and who enroll in six or more credits for any given term must provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella.

All vaccinations must have been administered after 1967 and also after the student's first birthday to be considered valid.

Number of required vaccinations:
Measles 2 (The two measles vaccinations must have been given at least 30 days apart.)
Mumps 1  
Rubella 1  

In each of the above instances, a blood test which proves immunity is considered valid proof.

Students also are required by New York State law to have a meningitis response form on file. This is simply a requirement for a signed form; an immunization is not required.

Students who do not meet immunization requirements by the New York State mandatory deadline will be administratively withdrawn from the college.

Notification may be made to the College Health Services Office in any of the following ways:

  1. The student's medical facility or high school may provide the information directly by mail or by fax at (518) 629-7471.
  2. The student may provide the information, but the documentation must contain an original signature or stamp of either a physician or school nurse.

In the event incomplete or inappropriate data is provided, the Health Services will attempt to notify the student either by phone or mail.

Step 7 - Bills and Payment
Tuition bills are mailed on a weekly basis to the permanent address of all scheduled students beginning approximately 60 days prior to the start of classes. Full payment is required by the due date that appears on the bill.

Please note that if a student is registered for more than one Part of Term, bills will no longer be mailed after the earliest date noted. Bills may be picked up in person at the Cashier’s Office or charges can be viewed via the Web at Hudson Valley WIReD.

If a student is registered for more than one Part of Term, the entire bill is due by the tuition due date. The college periodically drops the registrations of students who have not completed the payment process.

If a student has already paid for a course and subsequently adds another course, the added course will not drop for non-payment. The student must contact the Registrar’s Office to have the course removed; otherwise, full tuition liability will be incurred. Tuition due dates and schedule drop dates are noted within each Part of Term’s academic and registration calendar.

Important – Certificate of Residence Required
In order to qualify for New York State resident tuition rates, you must submit a valid Certificate of Residence to the Cashier's Office along with your registration bill and payment.

WHY DO YOU NEED IT? A Certificate of Residence allows the college to charge your county for part of your tuition costs.

WHERE DO YOU GET IT? A Certificate of Residence is obtained from the county of your permanent address. Rensselaer County residents need to obtain the Certificate from their local town or city office. City of Troy residents need to contact the Hudson Valley Cashier's Office to obtain a Certificate. More information regarding where to obtain Certificates of Residence may be found online here:

WHEN DO YOU GET IT? Certificates must be dated no earlier than 60 days prior to the start of classes.

WHEN DO YOU GIVE IT TO HUDSON VALLEY? The Certificate of Residence must be submitted to Hudson Valley at the same time payment is made for tuition and fees. A Certificate of Residence is valid for ONLY ONE (1) YEAR.

Payment Options

CASH or CHECKS — Check or money orders must be made payable to Hudson Valley Community College. Students who have had tuition checks for previous terms returned for insufficient funds will not be permitted to pay their tuition by personal check.

CREDIT CARDS — The college accepts payment by Discover, MasterCard or Visa. You may charge your tuition by phone if you have a valid Certificate of Residence on file. To charge tuition, please call (518) 629-4504 weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

WEB PAYMENTS — Hudson Valley Community College accepts payments through WIReD with your Discover, MasterCard or Visa. You may pay your tuition and fees online if you have a valid Certificate of Residence on file. Follow these steps to pay your bill
Step 1: Go to
Step 2: Log on to your WIReD account using your username and password.
Step 3: Click on “Enrollment, Financial Aid, Student Accounts and Student Services,” “Registration,” and then “Make Payments by Credit Card.”
*If your financial aid award exceeds charges, you may accept your charges online by clicking “Confirm Your Registration.”

FINANCIAL AID — If you applied for financial aid but do not have financial aid credit on your registration bill, contact the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center for assistance.

Financial aid will be used to satisfy unpaid balances before aid amounts in excess of tuition and fees is refunded to students.

NOTE: If you register with financial aid that is subsequently reduced, you will be responsible for full payment to the Cashier’s Office.

VETERANS DEFERRALS — Eligible veteran students receiving education benefits may receive a tuition deferral at the Registrar’s Office. Students who will be receiving benefits for the first time at Hudson Valley must submit a Certificate of Eligibility prior to receipt of a tuition deferral.

SCHOLARSHIPS — Present letter from sponsor to the Cashier’s Office.

PAYMENT PLAN — Students taking courses for college credit will have the option to pay 50 percent of their total registration charges and defer payment of the unpaid balance until later in the semester. There will be a $50 non-refundable payment plan fee charged to each student that desires to defer a portion of their payment until later in the semester.

Students electing the 50 percent payment option, MUST pay 50 percent IN PERSON AT THE CASHIER’S OFFICE or online via their WIReD account by the tuition due date.

Students will be required to sign a Promissory Note (a legal document promising to pay) for the unpaid balance.

Hudson Valley Community College students are unable to register for future semesters, view their grades, or obtain transcripts while having an unpaid balance on their account.

If a student’s account balance is not paid in full by the due date, his or her account may be immediately forwarded to a collection agency and the student will be responsible for all collection costs associated with the account.

Students will not be permitted to register for subsequent semesters unless all current and previous semester tuition and fee charges are paid in full.

QUESTIONS — If you have questions regarding payment of your bill, please contact the Cashier’s Office at (518) 629-4504.

For information on cost of tuition and fees see the [Loading Tuition and Fees link…] section of the College Catalog.

Step 8 - Registration is complete
Students may access their schedule via the Web at Hudson Valley WIReD. Students are considered enrolled once their specific classes have begun.