The Individual Studies degree is designed for those who wants to create their own pathway through higher education. With career or transfer goals in mind and working with your academic advisor, you can tailor an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree that is right for you.
Students enter the Individual Studies program for a variety of reasons. Some may be taking required courses to transfer into a different degree program at the college and others are exploring courses that are relevant to their career or transfer goals. Many also use this degree to create a specific pathway to a selected transfer agreement at another college.
This program is aimed at a variety of individual student needs, and many complete the program with the goal of continuing on to pursue a higher degree at a four-year college or university.
This program is offered by the Individual Studies Department.
[Loading A.A. Program Requirements link…]
[Loading A.S. Program Requirements link…]
- The program has a variety of elective options making it ideal for a person who wants to create their own academic course of study. The program serves students who wish to transfer to four-years programs, as well as those who plan to change curriculums or go directly into the workforce.
- With proper course selection, students may fulfill the SUNY General Education requirements with an Individual Studies degree.
- Individual Studies is a degree program in which students can "mirror" coursework necessary at the four-year college of their choice. No other curriculum allows such variety.
- Individual Studies curriculum is conducive to further study toward pre-med, pre-dental, and other health science programs. The program also is often used by psychology and education majors who wish to transfer to a four-year institution.
- Individual Studies allows students to fulfill prerequisites for desired majors here at Hudson Valley (e.g. Nursing, Computer Information Systems, Engineering) as well as take other courses toward that curricular goal.
- Individual Studies permits students to concentrate classes in more than one area of interest (e.g., Forensic Psychology).
Academic advisors in the department can help you with educational planning; degree audit and course selection; scheduling tips; WIReD resources; add/drop and withdrawal decisions and registration calendar deadlines.
Program can be completed by attending online.
Program can be completed by attending entirely in the evening.
Career and Transfer Opportunities
Since the Individual Studies program fulfills a wide variety of academic goals, graduates of the program pursue an equally wide variety of career and transfer opportunities. If you have a particular career or transfer goal in mind, talk to an academic advisor about whether an Individual Studies degree is an appropriate path for you.
The Center for Careers and Transfer offers Career Services and Transfer Services to all students.
For more information regarding this program, please contact:
Individual Studies Department
Fitzgibbons Health Technologies Center, Room 319
For more information about admission to this program, please contact:
Guenther Enrollment Services Center, Room 223